It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Commonwealth to provide for the conservation of the soil, water, and related resources of this Commonwealth, and for the control and prevention of soil erosion, and thereby to preserve natural resources; assist in the control of floods; prevent impairment of dams and reservoirs; assist in maintaining the navigability of rivers and harbors; preserve wildlife; preserve the tax base; protect public lands; and protect and promote the health, safety and general welfare of the people of the Commonwealth...

PA State Law

State law requires that an erosion and sediment pollution control (E&SPC) plan be developed for all projects involving earth disturbance, regardless of size (PA Clean Streams Law, Chapter 102). Projects which impact high quality or exceptional value streams as defined by regulations promulgated under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (“NPDES”) requirements need special care and have enhanced permit conditions.

Our Delegation Agreement

The District reviews E&SPC plans under the terms of delegation agreements with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. In most cases, a General NPDES Permit – issued by the District – is required before the start of construction. When a high quality or exceptional value stream is located within the project area, an Individual NPDES Permit is required. Individual Permits are issued by DEP.

PA State Law

State law requires that persons proposing any activity that would obstruct or encroach into a stream, wetland, 100 year floodway, or other body of water, first obtain a permit from PADEP. The Chapter 105 regulations are in place to protect the health and safety of people, property and infrastructure, and protect water quality.

Our Delegation

The District receives and acknowledges a subset of permits under the scope of Chapter 105, General Permits 1-9. These cover specific similar activities including utility line stream crossings, minor road crossings, and stream bank protection and rehabilitation. The District also conducts outreach and education and performs site inspection related to this delegation.

In accordance with Act 38, all high animal density farms, or Concentrated Animal Operations (CAOs) and Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs), in Pennsylvania must develop and implement an approved Nutrient Management Plan. The Agricultural Technician can help you calculate animal density to determine if your operation is a CAO or CAFO, and help you contact a certified planner to write your farm’s plan.

Animal Operations (AOs) that are not a CAO or CAFO should have a Manure Management Plan in place to satisfy certain regulatory requirements of the Pennsylvania Clean Streams Law. The Agricultural Technician can assist the farmer in obtaining and implementing a plan.